Apple Pie filling
- 2 pounds cooking apples, cored, peeled, and cut into 2-inch chunks Granny Smiths are my favorite
- Juice from one lemon
- 1 stick of cinnamon or 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1/2 cups Margot's Morsels Sassy Cin'Mon, broken into pieces (medium)
- Cooked apple pie filling, above
- Vanilla or honey-sweetened yogurt Or, if you really want to go all out - ice cream
- 1/2 cup chopped, toasted hazelnuts combined with broken pieces of Sassy Cin'Mon Sugar morsels
Combine all of the ingredients in a heavy bottomed saucepan. Bring to a boil, then turn to low and simmer until the apples are cooked but not too soft, about 5-10 minutes minutes. Taste to make sure it's sweet enough. Add a little more sugar, if necessary
Remove from the heat, fish out the cinnamon stick and then mash well with a potato masher or a fork. Allow to cool before assembly in parfaits dishes.
In 4 bowls or large glasses, make layers of apples, morsel crumbs, and yogurt or ice cream. Top each serving with a scattering of toasted hazelnuts and morsels and serve.