- 1 lb. block (I got a "block" from my deli department) mozzarella cheese, cut into about 3-inch by 1/2-inch square sticks
- 3⁄4 cup flour - I used rice flour
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups Margo Morsels Primo Parmesan finely crumbed, I like the little extra flavor "kick"
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, crushed by hand
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. chile flakes or, more if you like your sauce to have a little more heat
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- canola oil, for frying
Place the flour, eggs, and morsel crumbs in separate shallow dishes. Working with 1 stick of mozzarella at a time, dredge in flour, dip in eggs, and coat in morsel crumbs; repeat this process one more time. Lay on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and refrigerate until ready to cook - they should be hot when served.
Heat olive oil and butter in a 4-quart saucepan over medium-high; add garlic and onion and cook until soft, about 6 minutes. Add tomato paste and cook 2 minutes more, then add tomatoes, sugar, chile flakes, salt, and pepper; cook until thick, 15-18 minutes. At this point you can use a stick or immersion blender if you like your sauce a little smoother. Keep marinara sauce warm.
Heat 2″ canola oil in a 6-quart saucepan until a deep-fry thermometer reads 350°; working in batches, fry mozzarella until golden and crisp, about 1 1⁄2 minutes. Transfer mozzarella sticks to rack over paper towels to drain; serve hot and with marinara sauce.