This is such a fun soup - a little like egg drop soup which seems appropriate for the Lunar New Year (Tiger, this year). This one is Italian and gets its name from the Latin "to shred" referring to the wisps of tender eggs in the broth. It's made a little heartier with fresh spinach. And, so quick to make.
- 6 cups of chicken stock
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons freshly-grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup lightly packed spinach leaves cut into thin strips
- freshly ground black pepper
- Dress with Margot's Morsels - Simply Sea Salt or Primo Parmesan
Pour the stock into a large saucepan and place it over medium-high heat to bring to a boil.
Whisk together the eggs, parmesan, parsely, and basil in a bowl until blended.
Reduce the heat on the stove-top to medium-low and gently stir the stock in a smooth circular motion with a fork. Continue stirring, slowly and gradually pour the egg mixture into the stock and cook it for about a minute. Using the fork helps create those thin, tender strands of egg.
Stir in the spinach and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve Piping hot with Margot's Morsel Primo Parmesan sprinkled on top.