Makes 3-3/4 Cups of dip. This Food and Wine recipe upgrades the classic caramelized onion dip with layers of flavor. What better way to enjoy your favorite beverage accompanied by a bowl of your go-to morsel flavor.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large sweet onion (such as Vidalia), quartered and thinly sliced (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1 medium-size yellow onion, quartered and thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
- 1 medium-size red onion, quartered and thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
- 4 medium shallots, halved and thinly sliced (about 11/2 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 6 scallions, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Black pepper, to taste
- Seasonal vegetables and, of course, Margot's Morsels for serving
Heat oil and butter in a large, deep skillet over medium-high until butter melts. Add sweet onion, yellow onion, red onion, shallots, and salt; cook, stirring occasionally and folding onions into each other, until barely softened and just starting to brown, about 12 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are caramelized, about 35 minutes, adding scallions halfway through cook time. If onions start to stick to skillet or brown too quickly, add a splash of water to skillet. Transfer mixture to a large bowl, and place cream cheese on top; let cool completely, about 30 minutes.
Stir onion mixture until cream cheese is fully incorporated. Add sour cream, mayonnaise, garlic powder, and cayenne to onion mixture; stir well to combine. Season with salt and black pepper to taste. Cover and chill at least 3 hours or up to 8 hours or overnight.
Let dip stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Serve with seasonal vegetables and Margot's Morsels flavor or your choice.