Serves 4. This is so easy whether you make it with shredded or cubed leftover Thanksgiving turkey or use ground white and dark turkey or chicken meat from your butcher. I've included instructions for both here.
- Shredded or cubed leftover turkey or, just as good: a combination of ground white and dark turkey meat (1/2 pound of each, browned with all the spices)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1—2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 can (15 oz.) black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes
- ½ jar (16 oz. size) or 8 oz. of your favorite bottled chunky salsa (I like Mrs. Renfro green version)
- 1 tablespoon of smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon of cumin
- 1 tablespoon of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes (more, if you like it spicy)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Margot’s Morsels Killer Garlic, broken into pieces to top
- Diced avocado
- Chopped or sliced jalapenos (fresh or pickled)
- Dollop of sour cream or crème fraiche
- Shredded cheddar cheese
Ground Turkey or Chicken – If you are preparing this as ground meat, in a skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil until it just begins to ripple (hot). Place your garlic in the skillet and break it up further for just a minute, add the meat and the rest of the spices and brown before adding all other ingredients. Now simmer for 10—15 minutes and serve.
Leftover Turkey – Heat your oil, add your garlic and let it release its fragrance for a minute before lowering the heat to a simmer and adding the rest of the spices (paprika, cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, and chili flakes) then add your black beans, tomatoes and salsa (1/2 of a 16 oz. jar). Let it simmer, uncovered for 5 minutes before adding your turkey and let simmer for another 10 minutes before serving.
In a warm bowl, ladle your chili and top with cheese before adding your Margot’s Morsels of choice, Killer Garlic are my favorite. Keep those babies close by, I always want more for every spoonful!